Welcome!

Welcome to my blog about art and design. Get inspired for your next project and see what I'm working on and teaching about right now.

Art School #1: This Is What I Want to Be When I Grow Up

Why do I want to create? What makes me want to do this? It is something that was always of great interest to me; always wanting to make something out of my thoughts and to express my feelings without talking. Maybe that is the only reason that I had this need to express myself this way.


I remember 3 things in Kindergarten: coloring, drawing and story time. Story time was only good if the teacher held the book up high so we could all see the pictures.

First grade was especially fun about twice that year when Mrs. Kennedy passed out the big white papers. Then she walked up and down each row and spooned a big dollup of bright blue goo right in the middle of the paper.


The goo felt oozy and cold and I wanted to squeeze it but I was not sure if that would be a good idea. I did it anyway and then began to dream as I swirled and pressed and slid my fingers across the page. The paper wasn’t white anymore and I wasn’t sure what I was doing but this stuff was something that could be moved and changed.


Soon there was blue everywhere and finger painting was something that I liked, I loved! Too soon Mrs. Kennedy came by my desk and made me stop. Art class was over.




But my inspiration wasn't over. This was the beginning of my career. Now I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I would be a teacher and teach finger painting every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment